Winchester 94 alternate/wildcat caliber choices?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Markbo

Winchester 94 alternate/wildcat caliber choices?

Post by Markbo »

I just bought a used 94 from my stepson. Nice little rifle. But I have never been all that big a fan of the .30-30. Are there any alternate or wildcat alternatives for this little lever gun?

FWIW I already have Marlin's in .45-70 and .444 so those choices are covered. Any and all ideas welcomed!
Mark
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Winchester 94 alternate/wildcat caliber choices?

Post by Tristan »

There are 94's in various calibers other than 30-30, but I'm assuming yours is in the 'standard' caliber.

The only alternate caliber I've ever considered is the 30-30 Ackley Improved, which gives a marginal improvement in ballistics with minimal fuss for a rifleman who's also a reloader.

Personally, I've not found the 30WCF to be seriously lacking to my purposes as it is, however.

- Tristan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The .25-35, .32 Special, .38-55 and .410 shotshell in factory barrels/offerings, and the .35-30 wildcat.

I suppose if you really wanted to work on it, a .357, .44 Magnum or .45 Colt could also result.

natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

219 Zipper...!!..Nate
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

How about a custom, 22" or 24" slightly heavy contour barrel in .25-35, with rifle forend and half magazine? The .25-35's I have shot have been VERY VERY accurate, and very pleasant to shoot. You could have a lot of fun with one year-round, not just during deer season...

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The 30-30 Ackley Improved is a good upgrade to the 30-30. Essentially turns it into a "300 Savage light".

If you don't mine getting a new barrel, the classic "improved" chambering is the 7mm Waters which is a 30-30 case blown out and necked down to .284".

Personally, I'd like a 25-35 AI. That'd be the thing IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Don't forget the 7-30 Waters
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

If I couldnt live with a 30/30 I'd turn it in to a 25/35 that said a 30 WCF can drop deer, elk, moose and bears just fine a 170 to 190 grain bullet has alot of penetration. danny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since you have the 'biggies' (.444, etc.) covered, I'd consider .35 Remington, or .25-35, depending on your needs.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Allways fancied a 7mm waters my self :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

A properly struck game animal will have a devil of a time telling the difference between the .30-30 and some wildcat or other. Nothing like good marksmanship and a well-placed shot.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 7-30 Waters. Delightful round. Mid 80s AE 94 XTR 24" ("carbine" format: long mag tube, dual barrel bands)...one of nicest 94s I've ever handled or shot.
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

I am with the waters guys, always wanted one.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I've always thought that if I was lucky enough to shoot out my 356 Win. barrel, i would explore having it rechambered to the 375 JDJ or Paco's equivalent. One could push a 250 Gr. Cast Bullet at good velocity, with less pressure than it takes the 356 Win. to do it.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Markbo wrote:I just bought a used 94 from my stepson. Nice little rifle. But I have never been all that big a fan of the .30-30. Are there any alternate or wildcat alternatives for this little lever gun?

FWIW I already have Marlin's in .45-70 and .444 so those choices are covered. Any and all ideas welcomed!
Mark
Try loading it with the 130 gr bullets and load them up warmish, and it may please you more. also load the 110s and try plinking loads with cast bullets. the 30/30 can be a lot of things if you play with it. also try out the 180, 185 and 190, even the 200 gr. cast. any one these will give you inexpensive fun and utility.

if you want to rebarrel look up the 25/35 tomcat [which may be the same as the 25/35 ackley improved]. that is a hot number.
cable
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Markbo wrote:...I have never been all that big a fan of the .30-30.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Blasphemy!!!! Heretic!!!!

Seriously though...that little 7-30 Waters round always seemed interesting to me. Or what Nate mentioned..a 219 Zipper. That looks like a fun little round.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You've gotten good suggestions for rounds suitable to the rifle. But, I will make an observation, FWIW.

Most of the foks I've known who "never really cared for the .30-30" have never really given it a try and explored its capabilities. It is a lot more effective and versatile than popular writings and gun shop BS would lead you to believe. In fact, it is one of the greats of all time, and arguably the perfect match for a light leveraction carbine. You can always switch if it turns out not to be your cup of tea, but you might want to give it a chance to prove itself first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WHAT???? WHYEVER FOR????

30WCF, better known as the .30-30 is the best invention outside the Winchester Mdl 94! Go figure that such two great ideas come as a package!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 Pisgah. Good post. I've shot--and loved--the .30-30 for 40+ years, and that's mostly with factory stuff.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I CANNOT say enough good about the 25-35 Winchester. Accurate beyond all reason. Kills deer like they were hit with a bomb, even very heavy bodied deer. More than just a few even use it on elk, or at least used to though that is conversation for some other day!

My own rifle gobbles up cast full power loads like they were candy :mrgreen:

I absolutely adore my 1939 Model 64 25-35 :wink:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

if you consider the leverrevolution and buffaloe bores 190 grain, the 30wcf. can hold its own as a north american game getter, for those that want to shoot at 300 yards and those who use it as bear protection. although the old timers accomplished the same things with the 170grain corelocks. :wink: