OT - new pump shotgun from Kel-Tec - ugly powerhouse?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - new pump shotgun from Kel-Tec - ugly powerhouse?

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, I know - no walnut or blued steel, and no lever, but purely in terms of being able to move about one pound of lead relatively quickly (14 shots of 12 gauge), the Kel-Tec KSG does have some interesting features; having two selectable magazines, among other things...

It seems like only about one in fifty new firearms ideas makes it over the hump and stays around, but it's always fun to see new ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - new pump shotgun from Kel-Tec - ugly powerhouse?

Post by wavetrain75 »

I'm not a big Kel-Tec fan but I do like the way they tend to diverge from the conventional, even if the results are a little strange sometimes.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

It is a very interesting Shotgun, but the 800 dollar price tag I am informed it carries pretty much makes me lose interest.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

If it was half the price i would like to try one; I suspect that if the Dems ever get a new AWB passed, this one will be listed by name.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I can hardly imagine a better companion for walking in the woods where the bear tracks in the snow look like snowshoes and the claw holes where they're climbing the deer trail you're on are about 4" long.

Standing on the river bank just north of a fishing bear always makes me feel a little undergunned. I think Kel-Tec has a great idea. Makes my mossy 500 seem clunky and impotent with six rounds in it. A lot of folks think an 8 round 1911 is worth way more than $800 bucks...

Besides, the style of home invasions around here is 3 to 5 thugs with shotguns... so this little piece would be bringing enough gun. What a great house cleaner.

practical is its own reward

Grizz
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Neat design but the shotgun does have an issue. The trigger doesn’t reset. If you pull the trigger, and then run the slide while still holding the trigger to the rear like you would on a Remington 870 or a Mossberg, the trigger will simply go dead. You have to rack the slide again to reset the trigger which of course ejects a good shell.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

damienph wrote:I suspect that if the Dems ever get a new AWB passed, this one will be listed by name.
Can't get a stronger endorsement or recommendation than that...! :mrgreen:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

In that form factor and price it needs to be an auto. A Benelli like inertia system, bull pup, high cap - now THAT would be something.

Sadly, I've got zero interest in this baby and I actually like Kel-Tec products.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Grizz wrote: Makes my mossy 500 seem clunky and impotent with six rounds in it.
That can be rectified. Extended mag, collapsible stock, etc. etc...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Neat design but the shotgun does have an issue. The trigger doesn’t reset. If you pull the trigger, and then run the slide while still holding the trigger to the rear like you would on a Remington 870 or a Mossberg, the trigger will simply go dead.

Huh? I'm not doubting you, but that automatically removes it from *any* sort of life or death applications.

As stolen from Mr. Ayoob, Spaulding or somebody or another, "in stressful situations gross motor skills deteriorate and fine motor skills disappear."

I could see this 'feature' getting someone killed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

dsmith512 wrote:Neat design but the shotgun does have an issue. The trigger doesn’t reset. If you pull the trigger, and then run the slide while still holding the trigger to the rear like you would on a Remington 870 or a Mossberg, the trigger will simply go dead. You have to rack the slide again to reset the trigger which of course ejects a good shell.
I thought at this point is was not yet released or on the market.

Did you have access to one already?

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The thing I like about it is that you can put Buck in one tube and slug in the other... and switch as necessary.

The trigger reset issue will be resolved I'm sure.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Like it or not it is unique. I think it's cool that there is always another design in this industry. Some we like, some we don't, but please keep them coming.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

olyinaz wrote:In that form factor and price it needs to be an auto. A Benelli like inertia system, bull pup, high cap - now THAT would be something.
+1
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

AJMD429 wrote:
dsmith512 wrote:Neat design but the shotgun does have an issue. The trigger doesn’t reset. If you pull the trigger, and then run the slide while still holding the trigger to the rear like you would on a Remington 870 or a Mossberg, the trigger will simply go dead. You have to rack the slide again to reset the trigger which of course ejects a good shell.
I thought at this point is was not yet released or on the market.

Did you have access to one already?
This trigger reset issue was reported by those who handled the firearm at Shot Show 2011. I hope Kel-Tec fixes this issue. In my mind it is a sure show stopper.